Time Boxing Can Be Better Than Traditional Time Management Models
As an educational leader, time management can often be a challenge. With a multitude of responsibilities, including administrative tasks, staff management, and student support, it can be easy to feel overwhelmed and bogged down by the sheer volume of work. However, effective time management is crucial for the success of any educational institution. This is where time boxing can prove to be a valuable tool.
Time boxing is a technique that involves allocating a set amount of time to each task on your to-do list. By setting a specific time limit for each task, you can better prioritise and manage your workload. This method allows you to focus on one task at a time, ensuring that you complete it before moving on to the next. It also provides you with a sense of structure and control, which can be especially helpful during busy periods.
To implement time boxing as an educational leader, there are several steps you can follow:
- Evaluate your workload: Start by assessing your workload and identifying the most important tasks that need to be completed. Consider the deadlines for each task and the impact they have on the overall success of the institution.
- Set realistic time limits: Once you have identified the tasks that need to be completed, allocate a specific amount of time to each task. Be realistic with your time estimates, taking into account any potential distractions or interruptions.
- Prioritise tasks: Order your tasks based on their importance and urgency. Tackle the most pressing tasks first, then move on to the less critical ones.
- Create a schedule: Once you have prioritised your tasks and set time limits, create a schedule that outlines when each task will be completed. You can use a digital calendar or a physical planner to keep track of your schedule.
- Stick to the schedule: The most important step is to stick to the schedule you have created. Avoid distractions and interruptions as much as possible and focus solely on the task at hand during the allocated time. This will help you complete your work more efficiently and effectively.
“The secret of time management is limiting how much time you dedicate to each activity, even breaks or snack times, to avoid going over with perfectionism, or to predict better how much time you need in the future.” (Source)Luciana Paulise (Forbes)
Implementing time boxing can have a significant impact on your productivity as an educational leader. It can help you stay organised, prioritise your workload, and manage your time more effectively. This technique can also be shared with your staff and teachers to help them manage their workload and achieve better results in the classroom.
As an educational leader, time management is crucial for the success of your institution. By implementing time boxing, you can better manage your workload, increase your productivity, and achieve better results. Give it a try and see how it can transform your daily routine.
CEO and Education Expert Greg Parry
Internationally renowned for his expertise in education leadership, Greg Parry’s vast experience includes leadership of projects for education institutions throughout Australia, the Middle East, the United States, India, Indonesia, Malaysia and China. Recognised for his numerous contributions in the education arena, Greg has received the Ministers Award for Excellence in School Leadership based on improvements in school performance and a range of successful principal training and leadership development programs, as well as the School of Excellence Award for Industry/School Partnerships and the School of Excellence Award for Technology Innovation. His company GSE (Global Services in Education) has been recognised as having the Best Global Brand in International Education in 2015 and 2016.
Considered one of the premier experts in his profession, Greg has trained teachers and principals throughout the world in areas such as critical thinking, language development and leadership. His expertise in school start up projects, leadership and curriculum development, has made him a sought after authority in these discipline.
Global Services in Education set up and operate schools in all parts of the world. Governed by a philosophy of global citizenship, every member of the GSE team shares a passion to help shape international education and student achievement through inspiration and collaboration.
Our goal is to meet the highest objectives of every school, teacher, student and parent, with an unwavering dedication to quality education, shared ideals and intercultural perspectives.
– School Management
– Strategic Planning
– Feasibility Studies
– Architectural Conceptual Design
– Interior Design
– ICT Planning
– Staffing & Recruitment
– Curriculum Design
– School Policies
– School Audits & Action Plans
– Training & Development
– Accreditation & Licensing