There are 3 vital signs that determine school health.
The vital signs of school health indicate the status of a school’s performance. Our experience tells us that schools fail if they don’t get the balance right.
- Educational leadership – the school must have strong leadership in areas of curriculum, teaching and learning. A visionary leader who understands the true foundations of education is required. Not just a figure head but an educational leader.
“Especially in the new developing markets we find that school owners sometimes place business leaders at the helm of new schools. Whether in title or practice that is a really poor decision and a common mistake. “Greg Parry GSE CEO
- Business Acumen – the school must have a sound business plan and leadership on the financial side. “Without money there is no mission. Without mission there is no money.” The financial side of school management is crucial to the schools success.
“Educators generally have limited expertise on the business side. There are rare occasions where I am proven wrong but most often a school must have a specialist business leader with strength in this area and good team work between the education and business side.”Greg Parry GSE CEO
- Marketing and Admissions – the school must be effective at communicating its vision and mission. Educators are very good at communicating values and they will play a key role however the science of marketing, converting leads and admissions is a specialist skill that is rare and invaluable. It is not a task well positioned within the education portfolio.
“Good marketing is invaluable and these skills are not just about nice brochures, a website and branding. Generating leads and converting leads to new enrolments is a science. Invest in this area as a key priority.”Greg Parry GSE CEO
The vital signs of school health are quite universal.
In private, international and public schools these areas all require critical attention when performance is off track. Even just one can bring a school down if there is a critical problem. Equally, a focussed attention on one or more can quickly change momentum in a positive direction. It is important to direct attention to these 3 key areas in order to launch a new school successfully, turn an existing school around or maximise the performance of an existing one.
If you want to learn more about the steps required to set up a school check out some of our other articles:
For some great regular updates on the international education industry we also monitor PIE
GSE set up schools in all areas of the world
CEO and Education Expert Greg Parry
Internationally renowned for his expertise in education leadership, Greg Parry’s vast experience includes leadership of projects for edu-cation institutions throughout Australia, the Middle East, the United States, India, Indonesia, Malaysia and China. Recognised for his numerous contributions in the education arena, Greg has received the Ministers Award for Excellence in School Leadership based on improvements in school performance and a range of successful principal training and leadership development programs, as well as the School of Excellence Award for Industry/School Partnerships and the School of Excellence Award for Technology Innovation. His company GSE (Global Services in Education) has been recognised as having the Best Global Brand in International Education in 2015 and 2016.
Considered one of the premier experts in his profession, Greg has trained teachers and principals throughout the world in areas such as critical thinking, language development and leadership. His expertise in school start up projects, leadership and curriculum development, has made him a sought after authority in these discipline.
Global Services in Education set up and operate schools in all parts of the world. Governed by a philosophy of global citizenship, every member of the GSE team shares a passion to help shape international education and student achievement through inspiration and collaboration.
Our goal is to meet the highest objectives of every school, teacher, student and parent, with an unwavering dedication to quality education, shared ideals and intercultural perspectives.
– School Management
– Strategic Planning
– Feasibility Studies
– Architectural Conceptual Design
– Interior Design
– ICT Planning
– Staffing & Recruitment
– Curriculum Design
– School Policies
– School Audits & Action Plans
– Training & Development
– Accreditation & Licensing