The skills of logic and reasoning include an ability to think through problems and apply strategies to solve challenges. These essential skills are part of a child’s early development. In fact they are an important foundation that will later develop competence and maximise the chances of success in academic pursuits. It can be developed at an early age and there are certainly a number of things we can do to help children improve logical thinking.
Here are 8 ways to help children improve logical thinking:
- Create regular opportunities for the child to use logical thinking. For example, assign the student a regular task of watering plants using a choice of containers such as watering can, bucket and cup.
- Each day provide problem solving opportunities with gradually increasing levels of difficulty. For example, a fire alarm is triggered at your house. What do you do? A fire alarm is triggered at a neighbour’s house. What do you do?
- Consistently ensure the child experiences the logical consequences attached to their behaviour choices. Align positive consequences to positive choices and negative consequences to poorer choices, as is evident in the world around them.
- Use questionning techniques that require logical answers. For example, why do we have street signs such “stop” and why do construction workers warn people of dangers.
- When met with a challenge or situation that went wrong, help the child reflect and identify steps that could be taken to prevent the situation if it happens again.
- When reading stories ask the child to predict logical endings ahead of time or even alternative endings that seem logical given the story line, its characters and the context.
- Provide stories, pictures or events that require the child to explain the impact and consequences of variables and change. For example, if it is snowing is the temperature hot or cold? If the sun comes out what clothes will they change?
- Help the child evaluate unsafe situations or events. Identify events or actions that could logically lead to dangerous outcomes.
Senior Managing Partner and Education Expert Shanna Parry
Combining her passions for teaching, training and travel, Shanna Parry has since worked throughout the USA, Middle East, India and China serving as a director (Higher Education), headmaster (Secondary School) and consultant (K-12). Shanna brings a wealth of experience in a variety of critical areas.
In 2018 and 2019 Shanna was identified as top 30 in the Education category for Global Gurus among some of the worlds leading Education experts. Shanna continues to travel extensively to meet the demands for her consulting expertise in administrative and teacher development.
In her role as Senior Managing Partner of GSE she plays a key role in the day-to-day operations as well as pioneering creative models for international schools and providing groundbreaking training methods for directors, administrators, teachers, and students.
Global Services in Education set up and operate schools in all parts of the world. Governed by a philosophy of global citizenship, every member of the GSE team shares a passion to help shape international education and student achievement through inspiration and collaboration.
Our goal is to meet the highest objectives of every school, teacher, student and parent, with an unwavering dedication to quality education, shared ideals and intercultural perspectives.
We want to help you!
– School Management
– Strategic Planning
– Feasibility Studies
– Architectural Conceptual Design
– Interior Design
– ICT Planning
– Staffing & Recruitment
– Curriculum Design
– School Policies
– School Audits & Action Plans
– Training & Development
– Accreditation & Licensing