We all know that the high school years can be very difficult for a teenager. They will face many social pressures as well as additional obligations such as sports, after-school jobs and family commitments. The academic requirements however are also much more rigorous than they have experienced in previous years and it is not just study habits that are important. As parents, teachers and adults we are often not quite clear about how best to support teenagers but there are ways we can help them do well in school.
Here are 10 ways to help your teenager do well in school:
- Pay attention to your teen’s schoolwork. Ask regularly and with genuine interest, “What are you learning?”
- Offer support. Provide reassurances and help as your teen tackles educational activities and situations for the first time.
- Promote good health habits. If your teen gets enough sleep, balanced meals, and proper exercise, classroom participation and learning will come more easily.
- Stimulate your teen’s growing interests. Have a variety of reading materials available at home.
- Get involved in your teen’s school. Meet with your teen’s teacher, attend school events, and be prepared to intervene to assure that your teen’s classes provide opportunities for success.
- Be positive about education. Show how much you enjoy and value learning.
- Help to organise a quiet study area at home for your teen. It should have needed supplies easily accessible and be free from distractions.
- Offer praise for your teen’s achievements and efforts. Praise helps to build self-esteem and encourages teens to keep trying their best.
- Discuss current events with your teen to promote an interest in learning about the world.
- Be available when your teen wants to talk about school or other issues. Then offer help and advice as needed.
REMEMBER…Your involvement in your teen’s education can contribute to a lifelong love of learning. There are many ways w can help teenagers do well in school.
Senior Managing Partner and Education Expert Shanna Parry
Combining her passions for teaching, training and travel, Shanna Parry has since worked throughout the USA, Middle East, India and China serving as a director (Higher Education), headmaster (Secondary School) and consultant (K-12). Shanna brings a wealth of experience in a variety of critical areas.
In 2018 and 2019 Shanna was identified as top 30 in the Education category for Global Gurus among some of the worlds leading Education experts. Shanna continues to travel extensively to meet the demands for her consulting expertise in administrative and teacher development.
In her role as Senior Managing Partner of GSE she plays a key role in the day-to-day operations as well as pioneering creative models for international schools and providing groundbreaking training methods for directors, administrators, teachers, and students.
Global Services in Education set up and operate schools in all parts of the world. Governed by a philosophy of global citizenship, every member of the GSE team shares a passion to help shape international education and student achievement through inspiration and collaboration.
Our goal is to meet the highest objectives of every school, teacher, student and parent, with an unwavering dedication to quality education, shared ideals and intercultural perspectives.
We want to help you!
– School Management
– Strategic Planning
– Feasibility Studies
– Architectural Conceptual Design
– Interior Design
– ICT Planning
– Staffing & Recruitment
– Curriculum Design
– School Policies
– School Audits & Action Plans
– Training & Development
– Accreditation & Licensing